Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SSL Certificates

From: Ryan Fox <rfox () FINDLAY EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 09:04:10 -0400

We switched from Thawte to a Digicert wildcard cert last year.  Our
wildcard cert is valid for *.our.edu, and 'licensed' for unlimited
hosts.  It was a big cost savings over Thawte SPKI (but not free), and
simplifies our work greatly as we don't have to request a new cert for
each new service, and is a 3 yr cert so we also only have to install new
certs less often.

That said, wildcard certs have their own unique security challenges, and
an undiscovered compromise of the private key is much, much worse. ;-)

Cheers,
Ryan