Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: User Privilege Levels.

From: "Daly, Douglas" <DDALY () NYMC EDU>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 09:01:59 -0500

Matt,

We do not grant end users administrative privileges. If they need
elevated privileges, help desk will remote desktop to the computer,
elevate privileges or assist with installation and then demote
privileges. Allowing administrative access to end users is a recipe for
major help desk headaches. If an end user insists (usually a faculty
researcher) on having administrative access to "his" computer, we will
not join it to the domain and assistance stops at the network jack. All
college owned computers must be running our campus anti-virus
application (Trend Micro here).

We went from Novell to Windows many years ago but the one thing I would
have done differently is I would have created OU's for the various
groups, e.g. students, faculty, staff. That would have allowed us to
customize the password policy and made printing customization easier.
Back when we made the change, we didn't have a policy requiring regular
password changes.

We don't restrict access to computers to one (or a small group of)
user(s). That's not a bad idea, but it does require a lot of management
time. Restricting administrative computers to just the members of the
department will enhance security.

One last item... We have a common, local administrator password that is
known only to help desk. Local accounts at the workstations are not
created so everyone using the computer authenticates to the domain.

Regards,
Douglas Daly
Associate Director,
Technical Services