Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: User Privilege Levels.

From: Themba Flowers <themba.flowers () YALE EDU>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:43:02 -0500

[Note: This writing is not reflective of Yale University Policy]

For my own consulting work on the side, I generally give users
standard User privilege through the AD.
However after explaining to users why running a machine with Admin is
generally a bad idea (indeed, I don't run as Admin on my own box), I
will inform of them of a machine(Non-AD) account that exists for
admin, installs, etc "only." This machine account is a logged account
which can be revoked as necessary.  This has worked well.  In the
event that there is a program which needs admin to run on a regular
basis - I can wade in with FileMon and RegMon as necessary. More often
than not, the workarounds for any given SW title are already known and
don't take a lot of resources to fix.
I find that after the WARNING spiel, users are usually happy to have
access to an admin account even though in practice it is rarely
required. On the other hand, there is always that one user who uses
the admin account constantly and/or is a pain about having to switch
accounts.  Since they tend to be more advanced users anyway, I'll give
them full admin with the caveat that they'll get little to no support.

Themba Flowers
Social Science Research Services &
Educational Technology
http://www.yale.edu/statlab
Yale University Academic Media & Technology
140 Prospect Street, Room 100
New Haven, CT 06520
t.203-432-6931     f.203-432-7564
http://twitter.com/statlab