Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: User Privilege Levels.

From: Karen Stopford <stopfordk () CT EDU>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:09:31 -0500

We are a University system, so mileage varies by institution.  One of the Universities unreservedly gave all employees
administrator privileges on their machines and now regrets it, primarily because of unauthorized software installations
and configuration changes that either interfere with maintenance activities, or cause an uptick in Help Desk calls.

Other sites have restricted these rights to certain individuals that may have a legitimate need to install software
(mostly IT and Academic Computing) and have not reported so many of these issues.  Special training in IT policy is
required for these people.  However, there is constant debate over what the faculty needs to be effective, and the
"academic freedom" argument is frequently raised.  One of the creative approaches we are looking at is to allow faculty
to have this access on restricted networks attached to different services levels to reduce potential impact on other
network users, to simplify asset management, and to provide priority service to users of production applications.
Karen

C. Karen Stopford, CISSP
Associate Executive Officer for I.T. Security
CT State University System
39 Woodland Street
Hartford, CT  06105
(860) 493-0116