Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: What "secure" file transfer products do you use on Windows?

From: Jesse Thompson <jesse.thompson () DOIT WISC EDU>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 09:17:50 -0600

I've used PSCP, which is part of the PuTTY project (open source)

It's small and portable so you can keep it on a thumbdrive without
having to install it.  It works just like scp.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Jesse

Russell Fulton wrote:
Hi Folk,

So far as I can tell MS recommends webdav as a secure alternative to FTP
for allowing access to files under windows.  We have found that MS's
implementation of webdav does not perform well with large files across a
wide area networks.  It opens lots of  tcp session that are so short
that the window stuff never gets a chance to optimise resulting in very
slow transfer rates.  We were transferring large MRI images ( multi GB)
between our Medical School and US institutions.  Interestingly we
collect the MRI same images from hospitals around the world with a UNIX
based server with out issues but when our users tried to use the webdav
direct between two windows machines the transfers slowed to a trickle.
After hours of peering at wireshark traces  we decided that it was a TCP
window problem cause my the MS server chopping the file in to tiny
pieces and sending each over a different TCP session.

I am looking for an SSH 2 based system (free preferred ;) or commercial)
that we can recommend to any of our users who need to transfer files
between windows systems.  I know several such systems exist and I'm
hoping someone has already done the leg work of evaluating them... I'd
be happy to have one free one and a commercial offering to recommend.

Thanks, Russell

--
  Jesse Thompson
  Division of Information Technology, University of Wisconsin-Madison