Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: New Internet for Security

From: David Shettler <dshettle () HOLYCROSS EDU>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 12:47:24 -0500

The problem is that bad I think, but I'm not so sure saying starting
all over would fix anything.  Doesn't seem like it could solve data
security issues/breaches, for instance.

So many breaches are, at their core, related to failures in judgement,
education, (over) interpretation of regulation, and policy.

Stolen laptops & portable devices, accidental disclosures on the web
or email or p2p, improper disposal of data (electronic and paper),
insufficient vetting of third parties, etc.  These things combine to
make the majority of breaches, and while a new infrastructure might
have certain controls in place to help in these areas, I don't think
it could stem the tide.

The dujour virus might become history, but problems are rampant in
other areas.

And there is another major credit card processor breach, but none of
my sources want to drop their anonimity yet. Grrrr. 2009 might just be
the year PCI implodes.

Dave
http://www.holycross.edu
http://datalossdb.org