Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: New Internet for Security

From: Tracy Mitrano <tbm3 () CORNELL EDU>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 12:22:27 -0500

Interesting discussion and one that follows an idee fix of mine
recently: that the United States should have a separate federal agency
devoted to the Internet (not unlike what was created for
transportation or communication in the last century or so).

One more thought to add to the discussion, this one not in the least
bit new but a good reminder.  As Lessig pointed out, the Internet is
not a technology, but influenced, at the very least, by social norms
(users), the law (and policy), market (and regulation of it) as well
as technology (physical, logical and applications).

Too often, it seems, we have allowed ourselves, and worse yet law-
makers, to think of the Internet as a one dimensional
"technology."   (Witness p2p provisions in the HEOP.)  In our attempt
to stand strong on our missions in higher education (no matter what
form it takes in the next half century or so given myriad challenges
and winds of change), we will fail to progress in melding information
technology into that enterprise so long as we allow ourselves to be
defined only in these technological terms.

Once we embrace the full, multi-dimensional nature of the phenomenon
that is the "Internet" we significantly empower our thinking and the
message we hope to contribute to our institutional administrations,
governments and, in exercise of our service mission, as educators to
the public.

And who better than the technologists to preach that sermon?

Thanks, Gene, for getting us started on an important discusion!