Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: phishing irony

From: Zach Jansen <zjanse20 () CALVIN EDU>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:42:06 -0500

We did this a few months ago in an attempt to reach a broader group of people in our anti-phishing education efforts.
Like most of you we've put up posters, sent emails both direct and broadcast, etc in an attempt to educate folks about
the need to keep their institutional passwords to themselves. The only education method I found relatively (and
measurably) effective was emailing people who had fallen for attacks. Most people didn't fall for an attack twice after
I pointed out to them what they had done. Nicely of course. Sending out a fake phishing attack was a natural next step
in educating folks about phishing as we could educate those likely to fall for attacks before the attackers did. We did
it as part of Cyber Security Awareness month after sending out the usual forms of education about phishing and password
sharing just to make sure everyone had a chance to be educated on their own before we sent out the email.

The hardest part of the whole exercise was getting buy in. What made it easier to get buy in was pointing our that
there was nothing in the exercise that wasn't already being done to our users on a regular basis by phishers. What we
did was very similar to the phishing emails educational institutions have been getting for the last year or so.

The fake phishing email itself was pretty easy to setup. I used non edu domain to setup a web page which looked like
one of our login pages and sent an email to our users "from" an entity on our campus (forged, just like the phishing
emails we've been getting). The email contained a good sampling of the kinds of grammatical and spelling errors
frequently seen in phishing emails. The web page redirected to an educational page explaining what had happened, and
had a nice graphic from our anti-phishing training and summary of what the signs were that the email was a phishing
attack. We kept statistics of the number of people who responded and were able to develop some demographic data as well
which was very interesting. We made no effort to single out any of the "victims" for further education, we figured the
web page would be enough and didn't want to rub in the victim feeling. I think that's important.

The issue of trust with respect to this exercise has been discussed quite a bit, with those choosing not to implement
this kind of exercise generally stating that they chose not to because they were afraid of losing trust with their
users. Statements such as "IT will never ask you for your password" are thrown around. However, I suggest that
statement is not true. "IT SHOULD never ask you for your password" is more correct and "You should never share your
password" is correct. Training efforts should be training our staff/students/faculty on how to react appropriately to
situations that may arise in the real world. In an ideal world nobody (not even IT attempting a legitimate support
function) will ever ask for someone else's password, in reality it happens all the time . We chose to train people here
on how to react to real world situations, such as someone asking for their password.

That said, you have to evaluate for your own institution whether this is an effective exercise. Maybe your
faculty/staff/students will be so deeply offended it will prevent you from being effective in other areas. There may be
cultural reasons for that, but we didn't run into that here. Having done the exercise I can understand not wanting to
do it at another institution. It may not be appropriate or necessary there. However, I have been pleased with the
results here and hope it will be proven an effective method for training on phishing.

I can't say whether this has improved phishing education here as I don't have any hard data to show improvement.

These appear to be relevant companies selling this kind of training as a service, though I don't have experience with
companies, the wombat security folks appear to be a spin off from the anti-phishing phil group.

http://www.phishme.com/
http://wombatsecurity.com

Zach

--