Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: stopping students sharing their login credentials

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 13:22:23 -0500

randy marchany wrote:
One should never put in a policy/standard any item that can not be
enforced.

I've heard that opinion espoused several times and I don't
understand it.

How does that philosophy work with the honor code? With laws
against theft and murder? Copyright? For that matter, any
action that results in an abuse of privilege or accessible
resources that is only actionable after the action
occurs.

Policy specifies the rules. It shouldn't be necessary to be
able to prevent someone from breaking a policy before you
can have one. I think that is one of the major black holes
we've walked down with technology...expecting it to be able
to do everything for us.