Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: stopping students sharing their login credentials

From: Neil Sindicich <neilsin () KSU EDU>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 18:15:07 -0600

This assumes two things:

1. That everyone breaks every policy because they think that they can.
That an individual looks at a policy and says, "Hey, they'll never be
able to catch me if I do this..." and then they deliberately break the
policy.

2. That we can't actually catch the people who are sharing their
passwords, ever.

Most people, when they are told what the rule is, don't seek to break
it.  Those that do are the x-factor that no policy or law will protect
you from.

So, we move on to number two... We have already been given an example
where a students credentials were used by someone other than the
student.  A little bit of sleuthing will tell us that either (a) someone
gained unauthorized access or (b) the student gave the information out
deliberately to someone else.  In either case, our sleuthing will direct
us to question the student.  And here we are, paying attention to our
networks and policing them if something goes wrong.

If we find that someone gained unauthorized access the account
information we won't likely discipline a student, and after questioning
the account holder on the matter and determine that they gave out the
information then we have done our job in policing the situation.  This
gives us the same deterrent effect of that police officer sitting in his
patrol car in the shrubs...

The next step here would be to replicate the effect of the empty parked
patrol car...

Cheers,
Neil Sindicich
Cyber-Security Analyst