Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Pervasive Campus Wireless

From: Theresa Semmens <theresa.semmens () NDSU EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:50:40 -0600

See answers below

Theresa Semmens, CISA
NDSU IT Security Officer
PO Box 6050
North Dakota State University
Fargo, ND 58108
Phone: 701-231-5870
FAX: 701-231-8541
Theresa.Semmens () ndsu edu

looks like work."  Thomas Edison

From: The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU] On Behalf Of Jerry Sell
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:21 PM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: [SECURITY] Pervasive Campus Wireless

My superiors are interested in gathering some data concerning what other
universities are providing open access guest wireless services on their
campuses.  It would be helpful to us if we could enlist your input on the
following questions.

1.  Does your university provide an open access Wifi system for guests on
campus?

2.  We have both open and secure wireless access

3.  If so, does it have encryption of any kind setup?

4.  Those who want to use the secure wireless must be a student, employee,
or have guest access issued to them. Guest access must be requested by a
"sponsor." They then download a client to their computer and configure it
for secure wireless access.

3.  Do you use a third-party subscription service such as Boingo, or do you
have your own subscription service, or no subscription required?

 No

5.  If you don't require any authentication/subscription, how does your
University feel about the risk of providing an anonymous platform that can
be used for illegal activity?  Have they accepted the risk?  Do they not
feel the risk is great enough to mitigate?

6.  We are working towards only offering secure wireless; hopefully, this
will occur in the near future.

Many thanks in advance to those who respond.

Thank you,

Jerry Sell, CISSP

Security Analyst

Brigham Young University