Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Pervasive Campus Wireless

From: Mark Rogowski <m.rogowski () UWINNIPEG CA>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 14:34:57 -0600

Mark Rogowski  CISSP, CISM
IT Security
Technology Solutions Centre
University of Winnipeg
Ph: (204) 786-9034

Jerry Sell <Jerry_Sell () BYU EDU> 01/22/09 2:20 PM >>>
My superiors are interested in gathering some data concerning what other universities are providing open access guest
wireless services on their campuses.  It would be helpful to us if we could enlist your input on the following
questions.

1. Does your university provide an open access Wifi system for guests on campus?

Yes.

2. If so, does it have encryption of any kind setup?

No.

3.  Do you use a third-party subscription service such as Boingo, or do you have your own subscription service, or no
subscription required?

None.

4. If you don't require any authentication/subscription, how does your University feel about the risk of providing an
anonymous platform that can be used for illegal activity?  Have they accepted the risk?  Do they not feel the risk is
great enough to mitigate?

No problem.  It's all done in the name of academia.

The guest access network is limited to HTTP, HTTPS and SSH protocols only and is bandwidth limited to ~28kbps.  People
connecting are treated as regular Internet clients regarding public campus services.

Many thanks in advance to those who respond.

Thank you,

Jerry Sell, CISSP
Security Analyst
Brigham Young University
(801)422-2730
Jerry_Sell () byu edu<mailto:Jerry_Sell () byu edu>