Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Pervasive Campus Wireless

From: "Di Fabio, Andrea" <adifabio () NSU EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:45:51 -0500

See inline replies.

On 1/22/09 3:20 PM, "Jerry Sell" <Jerry_Sell () BYU EDU> wrote:

My superiors are interested in gathering some data concerning what other
universities are providing open access guest wireless services on their
campuses.  It would be helpful to us if we could enlist your input on the
following questions.

1. Does your university provide an open access Wifi system for guests on
campus?

YES

2. If so, does it have encryption of any kind setup?

NO

3.  Do you use a third-party subscription service such as Boingo, or do you
have your own subscription service, or no subscription required?

CISCO WISM displays the AUP and asks for an email address.  (most users do not
even enter it)

4. If you don't require any authentication/subscription, how does your
University feel about the risk of providing an anonymous platform that can be
used for illegal activity? Have they accepted the risk?  Do they not feel the
risk is great enough to mitigate?

Only HTTP/S and PPTP/IPSEC VPN is allowed.  Max aggregated bandwidth is 5Mbps.
Users are considered external to the network.

Many thanks in advance to those who respond.

Thank you,

Jerry Sell, CISSP
Security Analyst
Brigham Young University
(801)422-2730
Jerry_Sell () byu edu <mailto:Jerry_Sell () byu edu>