Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Pen Test vendors

From: "Walter E. Petruska" <wpetruska () USFCA EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 19:52:10 -0800

Sorry to be chiming in a bit late, but I've been out on a LONG holiday. (thank God!)

I'd highly recommend using Qualys.  We've been using them for a bit over two years now.  Great product, great support,
easy to use and they have the normal vulnerability scan capability as well as a full PCI module which provides the
questionnaire, the scanning (including web application scans) and the electronic submission of your plan/documents and
scan results to the bank of your choice.

Qualys is one of the leading members doing vulnerability research and publishing findings, is very active in PCI
council and has got to be the #1 or #2 certified PCI scan/assessment partner out there.

I sometimes feel a bit out of place considering their other clients are Cisco, AT&T, Daimler, DuPont, Sun Micro,
Fidelity, TIAA-CREF, etc.

The good part of their experience is that they are very scalable and very large networks (100,000 nodes+) are no
problem for them. Automated workflows and ticket management, distributed asset management (handy for breaking out
devices to the Division/College which owns them) and training is free.

If you need a reference there, let me know.

Walter E. Petruska,  CISSP
Director, Security Services
& USF Information Security Officer

University of San Francisco
Office of the Vice President of Information Technology
2130 Fulton Street (LMN 2nd Floor West- ITS)
San Francisco, CA 94117
Phone: 415-422-2324
Fax: 415-422-6719