Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do you use Email encryption software?

From: Jesse Thompson <jesse.thompson () DOIT WISC EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 07:41:09 -0600

We have a PKI and encourage usage of S/MIME.  My involvement is from the
 email side of things, not policy.

You can find policy and contact info here:
http://www.cio.wisc.edu/security/digitalCert/

Jesse
UW Madison

Fusco, David (FUSCO) wrote:
Hello -

We are investigating the expanded use of email encryption software on our campus and wondered how many others use a
solution for this.  We do have several copies of PGP for the transfer or some sensitive information, but how far do you
take it?  Should every email from a faculty member to a student that has a grade in it be encrypted?  I would think
that most institutions do not use encryption for this type of process, but how far have you taken it?  We are
considering it for the encryption of obvious messages, such as financial data, health data, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Dave.

David J. Fusco
Associate Vice President and CIO
Assistant Professor of Information Technology
Juniata College
1700 Moore Street
Huntingdon, PA  16652
814.641.3684
814.641.3703 (fax)
http://faculty.juniata.edu/fusco

--
  Jesse Thompson
  Division of Information Technology, University of Wisconsin-Madison