Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Pen Test vendors

From: Zach Jansen <zjanse20 () CALVIN EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 20:04:39 -0500

Thanks Mike and Sarah. I was referring to section 11.3 of PCI 1.2 (released
October 2008) which states:

11.3 Perform external and internal
penetration testing at least once a year
and after any significant infrastructure or
application upgrade or modification (such
as an operating system upgrade, a subnetwork
added to the environment, or a
web server added to the environment).
These penetration tests must include the
following:

This is distinct from vulnerability scanning (11.2) and I'm curious to know
how others are handling (or planning to handle) the requirement.

--

Zach Jansen
Information Security Officer

On 1/13/2009 at 5:30 PM, in message
<D199343E42CC6A4F9E86B38F45B03CC063BACF () EXVBE014-11 exch014 msoutlookonline net>
 Sarah Stevens <sarah () STEVENS-TECHNOLOGIES COM> wrote:
Mike.

You bring up valid points.  The ASV only does the scanning.  Most ASVs do
this remotely.  The QSA does the more in- depth control analysis, but true
penetration testing is usually not conducted in either case.  By "true pen
test", I am referring to the services that we provide where we actually
exploit vulnerabilities to circumvent controls, as a hacker would attempt to

do, and as you describe below.

Sarah Stevens, CISSP, QSA
Stevens Technologies, Inc.

Sarah E Stevens