Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Faculty handling of student data

From: "Basgen, Brian" <bbasgen () PIMA EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:36:23 -0700

 I'm wondering how institutions address the issue of faculty handling
student data, in the sense of faculty using personal laptops, or taking
student data home with them during the semester, etc. Our general
approach is to tie this into our institutional Acceptable Use policy,
and draw a distinction between legitimate academic use and otherwise
prohibited behavior.

 Having looked around a bit, I haven't been able to find the approach
others have taken. I'm not sure if this is because institutions aren't
specifically addressing this issue, or if I'm just not looking in the
right places. Any and all input appreciated, thanks! :)

Brian Basgen
Information Security
Pima Community College