Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Faculty handling of student data

From: "Payne, Shirley (scp8b)" <scp8b () VIRGINIA EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:57:33 -0400

Brian,

The University of Virginia recently implemented a policy on electronic storage of highly sensitive data that may be of
interest to you. The policy is posted at    https://etg07.itc.virginia.edu/policy/policydisplay?id=IRM-015.

Briefly stated, the policy prohibits the storage of highly sensitive data on individual-use electronic devices, unless
such action has been approved by a vice president or dean. If approval is granted, the data must be encrypted and the
device has to be protected by certain security safeguards. Storage on electronic media is also addressed.

Shirley

Shirley C. Payne
Director, IT Security and Policy
University of Virginia