Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Faculty handling of student data

From: "Di Fabio, Andrea" <adifabio () NSU EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:47:36 -0400

Brian,

State Institutions in Virginia fall under the Virginia IT Agency (VITA)
which has specific policies on the subject.  More specifically you may want
to look at the policies and standards under
http://www.vita.virginia.gov/library/default.aspx?id=537#securityPSGs as a
reference and starting point.

IT Information Security Standard (SEC501-01)
<http://www.vita.virginia.gov/uploadedFiles/Library/PSGs/ITRMSEC501-01ITSecS
td.pdf>  Section 6 on page 21 covers data protection and may be what you are
looking for.
Also, IT Standard Use of Non-Commonwealth Computing Devices to Telework
<http://www.vita.virginia.gov/uploadedFiles/Library/SEC511-00UseofNonCOVAsse
tstoTelework.pdf>  (SEC511-00) covers information on use of PC and laptops.