Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Faculty handling of student data

From: "Payne, Shirley (scp8b)" <scp8b () VIRGINIA EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 17:00:59 -0400

We use a "follow the institutional data" approach, i.e. if someone stores the institution's sensitive data on an
electronic device or media, he/she must comply with the institution's data protection requirements. It doesn't matter
if that individual is a faculty member, staff, student worker, contractor, etc. or if the device/media on which the
data are stored is owned by the institution or the individual.

Shirley

Shirley C. Payne
Director, IT Security and Policy
University of Virginia