Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Music Etc

From: Theresa Rowe <rowe () OAKLAND EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 08:00:48 -0400

Hi,
With all the talk of music and copyright, have any of you dealt with Music,
Etc.?
http://www.musicetc.org/

In the flurry of notices received at year end, one of our students received
a copyright notice for music downloaded from this site.  She was told by
friends it was a legit site, and when I look at it, I can see why the
students would believe that to be true.

There's another site that suggests that Music Etc is a scam, but the scam
warning looks less official than the Music Etc site:
http://www.topmusicservices.org/mp3downloadscams.html?tid=04awlllMusicEtc

The student cannot remove Music Etc from her computer until we've unblocked
her network access, so it is a bit complicated for students to undo.

--
Theresa Rowe
Chief Information Officer

--