Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Music Etc

From: "Scholz, Greg" <gscholz () KEENE EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 12:28:53 -0400

I think everyone has agreed that downloading from a site does not yet
trigger a DMCA notice it is the sharing it out to others that is found
by them. In fact all the ones we have state: "We believe a user on your
network is offering an infringing sound recording for download through a
peer to peer application."

So no matter where your user got it from, if we (you) trust the RIAA,
MPAA, etc methods for detection, then they obviously shared it back out
to others...maybe with that great software that musicetc gives its
subscribers.  Thus one of the biggest discussions about the problems
with P2P software - you don't know what it is doing to/for you aside
from your desired intend to download/retrieve stuff from others.

So the user very likely did not deliberately distribute it back out but
the only way to be sure she did not actually do it inadvertently is if
she is intimately familiar with all the software on her computer and
ensured no file sharing programs could see any of her music and
inadvertently share it out.

Thank you,

Gregory R. Scholz

Director of Telecommunications