Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: using live Production as sandbox for training

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 16:37:02 -0400

Kevin Shalla wrote:
Much of the training we do in our office is one-on-one, on-the-job, and
gets the work done.  In other words, here's the training:
1) get a stack of files
2) log in to the database
3) open the first file folder
4) go to screen ABCDE
5) look at this, and type it in there, and see if you find a matching
record
6) if so, proceed by going to screen CDEFG, if not, go to screen WXYZ.
We even sometimes do this in a classroom setting - everyone brings a
stack of work to do, then they follow along as the instructor shows them
what to do.  The work gets done and the training takes place at the same
time

I couldn't argue with this as long as two conditions are met: mistakes
made in the learning process are fixed right then and there, and no
"unscripted" changes are made, i.e. "No one has a salary update to do?
Why don't I show you how with John's record right here...." (Been
there...) Nah, let's not.

--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have." --
Maya Angelou.