Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: using live Production as sandbox for training

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 10:48:56 -0400

Melissa wrote:
Can anyone provide ANY insight as to the pros and cons of using a live
production system for training instead of creating a seperate sandbox
environment?

Well, if you were hoping to use your trainees as data-entry clerks for
the period...

Practically, I suppose it might be tempting to use the production
environment if it were costly in time or systems to create the sandbox,
but this could be risky, as I suspect you already know ;-)

I could see a situation where a DR system could be dual-purposed for
training functions in addition, if the hardware costs are great.

--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"Every hour I live I become an intenser devotee to common sense!"
--Alice James.