Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA Notices

From: Morrow Long <morrow.long () YALE EDU>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 14:06:38 -0400

Comments inline.

On May 6, 2008, at 11:58 AM, Scholz, Greg wrote:

I think your right and the report is confused...but I think we have all
looked at this as a "we believe" rather than a confirmed situation.

I can confirm this based on a conversation with a representative of the RIAA's technical enforcement.

RIAA DMCA notices are sent out using the advertisements based on a combination of filenames, titles,
sizes and (for P2P protocols that use them) advertised hashes.

This is because DMCA allows a complaint to be sent if there is sufficient "reason to believe" that an infringement exists.

ESLs (Early Settlement Letters -- a process separate from DMCA notification), are --instead-- based on a download of the content being advertised to verify that the content is the actual intellectual property - a higher level of evidence.