Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: What companies do a good security audit/review

From: Ozzie Paez <ozpaez () SPRYNET COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 12:31:12 -0700

Mark,
There are two issues to consider: The RFP and the consulting company.  Of
the two, the RFP is often the most important because it allows you to match
your specific needs to the consulting company's capabilities.  I have been
on a variety of teams that had little guidance and, under those conditions,
the security consultants reverted back to what they knew and liked to do.
For example, a security company that knows all about firewalls and their
associated rule sets may not be the best choice to examine data flows to
ensure that data regulated under a variety of privacy laws are not leaking
out of your organization or into your organization.  Companies that are very
good at defining/auditing organizational policies, procedures and contracts
to ensure compliance with the ever growing number of laws and regulations
may not have the full skill set to translate them into solutions, audit
their implementation, etc.  Just make sure that you know precisely what you
want, why you want it and what regulations (and there are always multiple of
these) apply.  Make sure that you include all appropriate NDA statements and
controls in the RFP.  For example, you may require that all consultants have
received appropriate background checks so that a hacker or criminal with a
history is not brought in as one of your 'security consultants', etc.  Now,
once you have an RFP that covers what you want and what you expect to
receive, you can then move forward and identify candidate companies to carry
out the work.  From experience, I can tell you that many audits have so many
holes in them that they are basically very expensive placebos.  When that
happens, it is usually because the RFP was not sufficiently detailed and the
company or companies doing the work essentially packaged a deliverable that
they could do within budget.  If you can give me a bit more information on
what kind of audit you are looking for, I should be able to point you to
multiple sources with a good reputation.  Let me know,

Ozzie Paez
SSE/CISSP
SAIC
303-332-5363