Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Group encryption solutions

From: Brad Judy <Brad.Judy () COLORADO EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 13:39:00 -0600

Two of the options in this space are PGP NetShare (as has been
mentioned), which we have used in our IT security office.  I like how it
works, particularly if you're already using PGP for other encryption
functions (e-mail, whole disk, virtual disks, removable media, etc).

Another option is the parallel item from Utimaco called LANCrypt.  It's
conceptually similar to NetShare, but different in implementation.

One thing to keep in mind is that these are client-side solutions which
have pros and cons:

Pros:
-No need for software on the file server
-Data is encrypted between client and server
-Data is encrypted on backups

Cons:
-All clients must have the software installed to access the encrypted
items
-Can cause confusion if clients without the software write files to
directories tagged for encryption (these files will be created, but not
encrypted unless a client with the software later enforces the
encryption)
-Client configuration consistency may be important (depends on the
application and implementation)

Brad Judy

IT Security Office
University of Colorado at Boulder