Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Group encryption solutions

From: Curt Wilson <curtw () SIU EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 12:48:59 -0500

Individual file/folder encryption for a windows user is pretty simple -
TrueCrypt, SecureZIP are two viable options depending upon requirements.

What are other .edus using for group encryption? I've gotten the
impression that the more user-friendly the system is, the more back-end
work required. A nice balance is sought so that users don't find it too
much of a pain that they won't use it, and also so that our limited
admin resources aren't overtaxed.

I've heard of people using PGP for this, and I'm aware of an Entrust
offering that I've yet to evaluate. The Entrust offering requires
setting up several servers, and I believe it's relatively new so I'm a
bit hesitant to recommend it. PGP seems tried and true, but I've only
used it for personal encryption or to encrypt documents for a small
group of recipients.

Comments appreciated on or off list. If I get a lot of responses I may
summarize them for the group.

Thanks
Curt Wilson
SIUC