Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Firewall - Outbound Ports

From: Chris Golden <cgolden () LEEUNIVERSITY EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 09:48:52 -0500

I am in the process of deciding wether or not to change my firewall strategy for outbound ports.  We allow gaming in
the dorms and keeping up with all the games and their enormous port ranges is a huge time sink.  I have polled some
other schools and found that they do not block outbound ports however I feel like some need to be blocked.  Which ports
do you block outbound?  Which ports do you recommend being  blocked outbound (SMTP, NetBios, etc.)?

Thanks for the help.

Chris Golden

Chris Golden, GCIH

Coordinator of Network Services