Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Honeypot in Netherlands mirroring entire DNS structures for some .edu's

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:50:37 -0500

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:41:52 EST, "Mclaughlin, Kevin L (mclaugkl)" said:

I am doubtful, but could be wrong on this, that there is international
law that prohibits the use of our domain first letters/first names.
Therefore they can be re-used for .eu domains.  An example of this is
that there are: CIA.gov, FBI.gov and then CIA.com and FBI.com  domains
that are official and registered.

I guarantee that there is no such law - because if there *was*, the owners
of whitehouse.gov would have used it to shut down whitehouse.com. :)