Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Honeypot in Netherlands mirroring entire DNS structures for some .edu's

From: "John C. A. Bambenek" <bambenek () CONTROL CSL UIUC EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 14:30:31 -0600

http://www.juniata.eu/

It looks like a legit site.

-----Original Message-----
From: Wood, Anne M (wood) [mailto:wood () JUNIATA EDU]
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2006 2:27 PM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] Honeypot in Netherlands mirroring entire DNS
structures for some .edu's

Hi John,

Our domain is www.juniata.edu and when I do a look up of www.juniata.eu, I
get the response below.  Is this the same problem that you mentioned and
would you happen to be able to tell me what the appropriate action is for
something like this?

www.juniata.eu
Server:  cohiba.juniata.edu
Address:  172.16.17.16

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.juniata.eu
Address:  81.169.145.86

Sorry to contact you directly, I was hoping you could help me understand
what I am seeing.  If you don't have time to reply, I understand.

Sincerely,
Anne Wood
Director of Campus Network and Security
Juniata College