Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Outsourcing Student (and maybe staff?) Email

From: "Sadler, Connie" <Connie_Sadler () BROWN EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:56:26 -0500

Have any of you already evaluated opportunities to outsource your
student email accounts to places like Google, Microsoft, etc.? We are
hearing more and more about the options, and I believe there are schools
(or so we are told) that have already set agreements with Google or
Microsoft, and I'm wondering if any of those institutions wouldn't mind
sharing knowledge or experience in this area. Now I am hearing that some
schools are outsourcing staff email as well. The price may be right, but
how are we going to deal with security risk - by encrypting all
staff/faculty email?

Any thoughts or experiences would be very much appreciated!

Thanks much...

Connie J. Sadler, CM, CISSP, CISM, GIAC GSLC
IT Security Officer
Brown University Box 1885, Providence, RI 02912
Connie_Sadler () Brown edu
Office: 401-863-7266
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x91E38EFB
PGP Fingerprint: DA5F ED84 06D7 1635 4BC7 560D 9A07 80BA 91E3 8EFB