Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Gmail, etc. - Forwarding Email to Personal Accounts!

From: "Mark S. Bruhn" <mbruhn () INDIANA EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 09:33:24 -0500

It may be less costly, in fact -- if the institution doesn't hold the data,
it cannot be sought by legal orders served on the institution.

We went through that here, because the Indiana open records law has
absolutely no exception for personal email -- that is, someone can ask for
all of the email currently in my IU-provided email mailbox, and we would not
be able to hold back or redact anything (other than those bits which would
be excepted under the very few exceptions that are in the law).

So, when the no-personal-email-exception was confirmed recently, we started
telling everyone that they might want to get themselves an outside account
for their personal email.  What we did NOT say was that the outside email
could constitute a safe haven for business email, because that would have
been, at very least, contrary to the spirit of the law.  On the other hand,
we do not have a stated policy that employees MUST use their IU-provided
email account to transact IU business.

The bigger issue that is adjacent to to the one you identify is collections
of mission-related email stored somewhere else -- if that employee is
terminated or is otherwise unable or unwilling to ship those back to someone
on campus, that could be a real problem.

By the way, we DO have a statement from Student Affairs that official email
to students will be sent to their IU email address, and it is the student's
responsibility to make sure (for situations under their control) that their
email accounts are ready and able to receive that mail.  Inasmuch as we are
starting to contemplate whether we will stay in the student email business,
that will perhaps become an issue.

M.

--
Mark S. Bruhn

Associate Vice President for Telecommunications
Executive Director, REN-ISAC (http://ren-isac.net)
Indiana University