Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Gmail, etc. - Forwarding Email to Personal Accounts!

From: Ken Connelly <Ken.Connelly () UNI EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 14:22:28 -0600

I hear you, but you're going to tell a tenured Comp Sci (or whatever,
you fill in the department) professor that s/he can't do something?? I'm
afraid we're all in the wrong TLD to pull this one off.

- ken

Sadler, Connie wrote:

Hi, all… we have more and more people (faculty and staff as well as
students) who want to forward their work-related messages, as well as
their personal messages, to one central email account, usually gmail.
Obviously, I am concerned about having potentially sensitive
university email content sitting on a gmail server. What are you folks
doing to manage these sorts of requests? Are you preventing staff or
faculty from doing this? If so, how has that worked? We are rapidly
moving toward expectations people have of having all of their
messaging funneled to one place, and while this is certainly
convenient, I'm quite concerned about how we can ensure a reasonable
level of security.

Thanks -

Connie J. Sadler, CM, CISSP, CISM, GIAC GSLC
IT Security Officer
Brown University Box 1885, Providence, RI 02912
_Connie_Sadler@Brown.edu_ <mailto:Connie_Sadler () Brown edu>
Office: 401-863-7266
PGP Key:
_http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x91E38EFB_
<http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x91E38EFB>
PGP Fingerprint: DA5F ED84 06D7 1635 4BC7 560D 9A07 80BA 91E3 8EFB

--
- Ken
Ken Connelly             Associate Director, Security and Systems