Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Gmail, etc. - Forwarding Email to Personal Accounts!

From: "Pace, Guy" <gpace () CIS CTC EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 12:51:32 -0800

Connie: Your concerns are justified. This is where you examine your
existing policies and maybe start the work on some new ones. The
potential for exposure of sensitive (or FERPA-protected) data this way
is very real. Geoff points out that sensitive data should be encrypted
anyway, but just when do you do that? A tenured faculty is exchanging a
series of email with a student discussing grades, class status and other
items. While each item in the exchange may not reveal much or be
considered sensitive, the whole series of notes collected and exposed on
a mail server you have no control over could be devastating. But, if
your policy allowed the faculty to forward to gmail or other personal
email providers, you are as responsible for the data exposure as the
email provider.

In addition, what are your policies for data sharing? In our state
(private institutions have their own crosses to bear) we are required to
execute data sharing agreements when we share data with third parties.
If our policy allows staff/faculty/(students?) to forward institution
email to third party email hosts, we would have to execute a DSA with
each of those providers. From what I've seen so far, none of them could
meet the requirements of the standard DSA we use.

In a previous life, we had the faculty/staff forward their hotmail or
yahoomail or whatever, to their institution email account, instead.
There were a number of reasons why it made more sense, then. In
addition, we encouraged the students to use their school-provided email
for school work. We couldn't guarantee that email they sent to faculty
from the free email services would be received, so the only "official"
mode was through their school email.

It isn't perfect, but it was the policy and it reduced our
liability--not just for data exposure.

As for Ken's comments about tenured faculty. If you can't develop a
policy and expect staff and faculty (tenured or otherwise) to adhere to
it, you got bigger problems.

Guy L. Pace, CISSP
Security Administrator
Center for Information Services (CIS)