Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Gmail, etc. - Forwarding Email to Personal Accounts!

From: "Waller, Michael A. (HSC)" <Michael-Waller () OUHSC EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 15:35:04 -0600

I think each institution needs to look at the ways in which it uses
email. On our campus, we do not provide secure email services at this
point and discourage all faculty, staff and students from using email to
send sensitive information. In that light, I can't imagine that it much
matters where work correspondence might be forwarded. After all, it's
sent out in plaintext over the Internet anyway.

For those institutions that offer secure email services, then it would
make sense to lock that down and not allow the kind of forwarding
discussed here.

Mike Waller

Information Security Analyst