Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mandatory Security Training in Higher Education

From: Jim Dillon <Jim.Dillon () CUSYS EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:21:08 -0600

Somewhere in the dim hopes of optimism I believe the message will
eventually get through that the government of the people does these
strange "unfunded mandates" because there is significant pressure from
the populace to do so.  Given that populace is our customer base, I
can't imagine that those who recognize this fact will rise to the top of
the heap and eventually demonstrate by example the value of delighting
their customer base.

That's the theory I invested 4 years of graduate work pursuing.

I sound like a Dilbert Strip.

Oh, and ours is nearly 2 Billion, although the part actually tied to
government is a very low percentage, maybe in the order of 8%?  Of
course the rest is mostly government grants/contracts or student
tuition, so I'll lump it all together ...

JD

Jim Dillon, CISA, CISSP
IT Audit Manager, CU Internal Audit
jim.dillon () cusys edu