Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mandatory Security Training in Higher Education

From: Chad McDonald <chad.mcdonald () GCSU EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 20:26:37 -0400

Connie,
We are traveling down this rock road also.  We have managed to work
with our human resources department (thanks to an IT Audit - Scott,
If you're reading this - THANKS!) to have a base level training
course incorporated into the new employee orientation program right
alongside the mandatory sexual harassment course and benefits
information session.  Where I fear we will hit a stumbling block is
with the entrenched faculty who see this as another bureaucratic hoop
that they must jump through.  As for how we accomplish training, an
"introductory" course is offered through our CMS that records the
score and other pertinent information.  We are working to have more
advanced courses developed that focus on specific areas of interest.

Chad McDonald, CISSP, CISA
Chief Information Security Officer
Georgia College & State University
Office  478.445.4473