Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: University-Wide Risk Assessment

From: Rodney Petersen <rpetersen () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 07:57:09 -0600

I would also encourage you to consult some resources developed by the
EDUCAUSE/Internet2 Security Task Force:

Risk Assessment Framework
http://www.educause.edu/LibraryDetailPage/666?ID=CSD4380
(Note:  this document provides a high-level overview on the subject of
conducting a risk assessment of information systems within higher
education.  It is being fleshed out with more details and examples by
the STF Risk Assessment Working Group.)

Information Security Governance Self Assessment Tool for Higher
Education
http://www.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/SEC0421.pdf
(Note:  Section II on Risk Management assesses the risk management
process of your organization as it relates to creating an information
security strategy and program.  While the two is not intended to
substitute for an university-wide risk assessment, many of the questions
throughout the tool are indicate of areas to be addressed as part of
that process.)

Effective IT Security Practices Guide for Higher Education
http://www.educause.edu/security/guide
(See links to "Preliminary Risk Assessment", "Risk Analysis of Critical
Areas and Processes", and "Institution-Wide Risk Assessment" under
"Links" on right-side of page.)

-Rodney

Rodney J. Petersen
Policy Analyst & Security Task Force Coordinator

EDUCAUSE
1150 18th Street, N.W., Suite 1010
Washington, D.C.  20036
(202) 331-5368 / (202) 872-4200