Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: University-Wide Risk Assessment

From: "Hunt,Keith A" <keith () UAKRON EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:14:21 -0400

Hello Elliot,

-----Original Message-----
From: Franklin, Elliott [mailto:franklin () TXSTATE EDU]
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2006 9:48 AM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] University-Wide Risk Assessment

At Texas State University we too have begun a similar effort.
 We first
ran multiple NMAP scans to detect common server services.
Once we had a
list we were comfortable with, we then did best effort to identify the
department based on the server subnet and building.  We then
developed a
web based Network Device Registration form.  Our Network Use policy
states that all devices acting in any role other than an individual
workstation or printer must be registered.  From this
registration data,
we will prioritize and then personally visit each server to
complete our
risk assessment.

What data do you collect for the registration?

Elliott Franklin, CISSP
Information Security Analyst
Texas State University-San Marcos
http://www.vpit.txstate.edu/security
512.245.2501

--
Keith Hunt  330.972.7968  keith () uakron edu
Internet & Server Systems