Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: University-Wide Risk Assessment

From: "Franklin, Elliott" <franklin () TXSTATE EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 08:47:42 -0500

At Texas State University we too have begun a similar effort.  We first
ran multiple NMAP scans to detect common server services.  Once we had a
list we were comfortable with, we then did best effort to identify the
department based on the server subnet and building.  We then developed a
web based Network Device Registration form.  Our Network Use policy
states that all devices acting in any role other than an individual
workstation or printer must be registered.  From this registration data,
we will prioritize and then personally visit each server to complete our
risk assessment.

Elliott Franklin, CISSP
Information Security Analyst
Texas State University-San Marcos