Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: University-Wide Risk Assessment

From: Brad Judy <Brad.Judy () COLORADO EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:04:00 -0600

This is something I have been working on for the past several months and
we have begun implementing it.  I'll work on getting the docs on our
website and send a link to the group when it's up (hopefully within a
few days).

In the mean time, the source material I used for developing our
framework included:

NIST 800 series documents
OCTAVE
Virginia Tech docs
U Virginia docs
Microsoft Risk Management Guide
Burton Group articles on risk management
Bits and pieces of some books and things like COSO and GAISP
Bits and pieces from conferences/colleagues (including this past
Educause security professionals conference)
Educause also publishes a risk management framework doc, but it's pretty
lightweight (might have been the goal).

Pretty much everything listed above is freely available (except the
Burton Group materials) - I expect most of you either already know of
these items or can quickly find them.  If it proves challenging to track
them down, I'll dig up a list of links.

I'm thinking about proposing a talk on our framework at the next
Educause security professionals conference.

Brad Judy

IT Security Office
Information Technology Services
University of Colorado at Boulder