Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: University-Wide Risk Assessment

From: "Victoriano Casas, ISO" <vcasas () AUSTIN UTEXAS EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:40:30 -0500

Alex,

The University of Texas at Austin is putting the finishing touches on
our campus wide Risk Assessment deployment.  Let me try and answer your
specific questions, then I'll add a link to my applied research project
(ARP, like a mini-thesis) which I wrote last spring for my Masters.

Do you send out surveys, or is the RA done personally?

YES - you can use surveys to ask data owners (and custodians) to
classify their data (eg. Confidential, Sensitive but not confidential,
public, etc).  We at UT-Austin use Category I, II, III
(http://www.utexas.edu/its/policies/opsmanual/dataclassification.html)

How detailed are the questions?

Depends on the scope.

We used the NIST Security Self-Assessment Guide for IT Systems (Swanson,
2001) (http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-26/sp800-26.pdf)
as a basis.

We removed all the unrelated (Federal) stuff and inserted UT-Austin
policy (http://www.utexas.edu/its/policies), UT-System policy
(http://www.utsystem.edu/bpm/53.htm) and Texas Administrative Code
(http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.ViewTAC?tac_view=5&ti=1
&pt=10&ch=202&sch=C&rl=Y) to come up with a long list of questions.

We then made sure we covered both department based questions and host
based questions.  Now we have a large question bank that we pick and
choose from depending on the assessment.

Do you cover both technical and procedural issues?

YES - see the NIST guide for more info.

Do you base the questions on existing policies?

OH YEAH!   Without policies in place, there's nothing to base your
assessment on - unless you use state and federal laws/rules/regulations.

Who answers the questions? Individual techs or heads of departments?

Techs (or, IT Custodians) AND the Department Heads (or, IT Owners)
certifies the answers.

What method do you use? Electronic? Web based? Written and signed?

Mostly electronic web based (for our survey and our exception process).

I hope that helps.  Here is a link to my ARP:
http://ecommons.txstate.edu/arp/109

Good luck!
Victoriano Casas III, MPA, CISSP
Information Security Office