Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Centralized security administration

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:14:48 -0400

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:31:30 EDT, "Hunt,Keith A" said:

When I said "easy" I guess I meant lacking in political baggage or a
need for some massive educational effort. Couldn't you put up some sort
of gate or cage door that would still provide air flow?

Well, *I* couldn't, it wasn't my lab space :) And although the problem *could*
have been prevented by installing a chain-link gate, it requires foresight
at least as good as the 20/20 hindsight most of us have.

Let's just say that the political baggage was just *starting* when they
realized there would be a battle for who paid for the replacement of the
toasted servers :)  (Although in at least one case, a clever middle manager
made what turned out to be a *huge* political power grab by painting the whole
mess as a good example of why those servers should have been in a proper
machine room all along... :)

Keep in mind that if you include environmental stuff under physical security,
it almost *always* ends up being a political football - because you almost
always end up having to run at least one pipe, conduit, or duct through
somebody else's space in order to get things up to snuff....