Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Centralized security administration

From: "Sadler, Connie" <Connie_Sadler () BROWN EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:07:55 -0400

Nothing formal, but I have the support I need, because everyone knows
that assessing risk and knowing where we have exposures and taking
action to remediate them is just good common sense. As far as getting
people to respond, I just call them until they do. They know I will keep
at it. If someone is non-responsive, I'll find a way to get to them. I
do it in a positive way, but it's hard for anyone not to respond. I'll
also escalate my request if I need to. It's part of my job, and to tell
you the truth, I assume the authority. I'd feel personally negligent if
I didn't require people to follow up.

As far as support, for small requests, we take them through our Help
Desk. For larger requests (please manage our server for us, because we
don't have the technical expertise to do it properly), we have a
high-level advisory group to help with priorities and funding issues.

Connie J. Sadler, CM, CISSP, CISM, GIAC GSLC Director, IT Security,
Brown University Box 1885, Providence, RI 02912
Connie_Sadler () Brown edu
Office: 401-863-7266
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x91E38EFB