Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Rootkit discovery tools

From: James H Moore <jhmfa () RIT EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:26:09 -0400

I thought I had responded to the list, but it seems that I just responded to John's initial post.

One tool that I like as a first responder (on the window's platform) is Neuber's "Security Task Manager"  In my
opinion, it is a good systems admin tool.  It is not as fine grained as some of the Sysinternals tools, but sometimes
produces a sharper "big picture".  I like it enough, I bought it for home.

It has a task manager type of interface.  It finds how processes are started (checks basic ways), and looks for code
signing, manufacturer's name, if it visible, etc.  It also gives things a "score" , so if it is hidden, not signed, no
listed manufacturer ... it highlights that you should investigate it.  And it even helps there, you can click on the
process and ask for a google search, or the search of their archives that identify what it belongs to.  Also, displayed
by default, is a "strings" pane, where strings are extracted from the file.  Rootkits usually cause a "File Not Found"
error in this pane.

Hmm, a running process, started from this path according to the registry, but you can't find it to pick strings out of
it.  Got Rootkit?

More information is at  "Security Task Manager" http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/taskmanager.html

Downloadable Trial version from http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/download.html

Jim

- - - -
Jim Moore, CISSP, IAM
Information Security Officer
Rochester Institute of Technology
13 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY 14623-5603
(585) 475-5406 (office)
(585) 475-4122 (lab)
(585) 475-7950 (fax)

"We will have a chance when we are as efficient at communicating information security best practices, as hackers and
criminals are at sharing attack information"  - Peter Presidio