Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Rootkit discovery tools

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:54:05 -0400

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:36:06 CDT, Graham Toal said:

you know, I have always wondered why the hackers weren't smart enough
to put a firewall on their backdoor ports so that they could only
be accessed (or detected) from specific addresses owned by the
hackers. (I.e. so we couldn't find them in a scan).

Then I realised, for all we know, they already are :-(

Google for "port knocking".  Fortunately, only the clued ones are doing it now.

I've seen a *really* slick iptables-only script that blocks access to the SSH
port until packets were received for certain other ports in a specific
order...

There's also lots of recipes for doing it with a daemon program called 'knockd',
which is more configurable but requires additional software...