Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Rootkit discovery tools

From: John Tooley <jtooley () CSUN EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 16:23:50 -0700

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone out there has found a good set of tools for finding
Rootkits.

Our requirement is to build a "toolkit" for our technicians to be able scan
and detect on each server in our environment.

I've found the "rkhunter" app for our Unix-flavors might be a good choice,
especially since it can run on a bootable (knoppix) CD and seems to detect a
large constituentcy of rootkits.

Unfortunately, all I am seeing in the Windows-side is "RootKit Revealer",
which is sketchy IMO because it is run in a live environment.

Anyway, your input and experience is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

John

John R. Tooley, CISSP

Information Security Analyst