Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Rootkit discovery tools

From: Mike Wiseman <mike.wiseman () UTORONTO CA>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 11:10:44 -0400

Interesting, but I take it this is applies to the UNIX environment only. We're still
focused on the Microsoft desktop and was wondering if anyone has used BartPE in a big way?
Might be worth revisiting if a bootable package of tools could be put together and used
without much intervention from the end user.

Mike

Mike Wiseman
Computing and Networking Services
University of Toronto

I fixed up the netboot stuff in our re-package of Helix 1.7 to do this.
Well, strictly, it was to run spider remotely on a pile of machines.  We
threw Clamscan and BitDefender in the bargain, though, which makes
essentially what you describe.

The systems PXE boot, do their stuff from helix.  It does require that the
clients be manually rebooted the following morning, as there's a
chicken-and-egg problem in the process.

I'm none too clear on how one might do this, but I'd guess that
maybe netbooting for the first bootstrap might be involved..

Graham
PS Rootkitrevealer is the only one I know of that is even likely
to work from within windows itself, if we can't come up with a
clever chained bootstrap trick.

Wyman Miles
Senior Security Engineer
Cornell University