Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wireless SSIDs (was Re: WEP)

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () UTC EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:50:02 -0400

Mark S. Bruhn asked:

Do you block 25/tcp on your unauthenticated wireless net?

Dean De Beer wrote:
Right now we do. We currently only allow HTTP, HTTPS & DNS traffic for the
guest VLAN. So far we have had no requests to be able to access POP3 & SMTP.

We haven't rolled it out (yet) but our unauth'ed wireless and library open wired pools are going to allow the mail
protocols, but we have a snort/snortsam/PIX combination solution to monitor anything doing more than *X* SMTP
connections in *Y* seconds will block their internet access for *Z* minutes (X/Y/Z haven't been set in stone yet).

Jeff